I’m Dr. Floyd Malveaux with the Merck Childhood Asthma Network (MCAN). We are focused on enhancing access to quality asthma care and management for children in the U.S. As a nation, we cannot continue to approach childhood asthma the same old way and expect to reverse the fact that one in every 11 children suffers from it and the asthma disparities that exist in many communities. To effectively manage this chronic disease requires careful alignment of different touch points in a child’s life: in the doctor's office, at school, at home and even on Capitol Hill. Use this new MCAN infographic, Putting Together the Pieces to Manage Childhood Asthma, to tell the real asthma story and raise awareness about the puzzle pieces that need to come together for real solutions. Visit the Resource Bank today to download the poster and other resources.
May is Asthma Awareness Month
Participate in Asthma Awareness Month!
Each May, thousands of organizations across the U.S. join together for Asthma Awareness Month (AAM) in an effort to increase public awareness and improve the lives of children and families with asthma. Be part of this national effort to get asthma under control in communities nationwide!
Use the tools and resources identified below to plan and promote your program’s AAM activities and events.
Browse AAM Events
Identify Partners in Your Community
Find and Share Resources
Search the Resource Bank to inform your program’s work. The Resource Bank has everything from checklists and asthma action plans to education and outreach materials and community health worker tools.
To search for what you need, use the advanced search feature:
- Visit the Resource Bank.
- Click on the “show advanced search” button.
- Check the boxes under “Resource Category,” “Resource Type,” “Language,” “Literacy Level,” and “Target Audience” based on your resource needs.
- Click the “search” button at the bottom of the page.
- To start a new search, click the “start new search button.”
To share your program’s resources:
- Visit the Resource Bank.
- In the green box on the page, click the "add your resource" button.
- Complete the fields and upload your resource.
- Make sure to click the "save" button at the bottom of the page to add your resource.
- To add another resource, simply repeat steps 1-4 above.
Check out these Top Five Resources:
- Guide to Asthma Policy for Housing and Schools
American Lung Association
- School Flag Program
EPA Asthma Team
- Asthma Clinical Guidelines Flip Chart
AH! Asthma Health
- Asthma Triggers Coloring Book
EPA Region 4
- Environmental Improvements for Children’s Asthma: The Impact on Symptom Burden and Return on Investment of a Home-Based Environmental Assessment and Modification Project
American Lung Association of Minnesota
Plan AAM Events
Download EPA’s Asthma Awareness Month Event Planning Kit, which features new ideas for outreach and awareness activities, tips for working with the media, success stories and much more.
Add AAM Events
Publicize your community’s AAM Event on the AsthmaCommunityNetwork.org Events Calendar. Make sure to designate it as an "Asthma Awareness Month" event so others can easily recognize that your event is part of this national effort.
Have Multiple Events?
Add each event separately to maximize your marketing impact. You’ll also be able to track how many people RSVP for each event.
Read and Share AAM Stories
After your event takes place, let other AsthmaCommunityNetwork.org members know how it went by writing a blog post. This is a quick, easy way to share your successes with the community. You can even upload pictures from your events! Your stories can also help others in planning their own successful events.
New Podcast Series
Episode 2 - Home Visits